Thursday 13 November 2014

A History Of Costume In The West- Francois Boucher

Front cover of 'A History Of Costume In The West' by Francois Boucher.
(Images on front cover- Artist unknown) Image of book taken by myself on 18/10/2014) 


Finally, I was able to get hold of a historical book that includes some information from the Elizabethan era. This book mostly focuses on the fashions of certain eras but the images and illustrations within the book are brilliant and can still tell me a story about the make up without any words.

Make Up before Elizabeth I Reign

The first images I noticed were two portraits of women from the 1400's and their make up is very similar to that of the Elizabethan era. The Unknown women were very pale, had large plucked back foreheads and had no eye brows, This is a true reflection of the ideal beauty that would desired over 100 years later in 1558 during the Elizabethan Era. However, the women in the portraits lacked any color on their cheeks and lips. (Woman 1- English Woman 2- German)
('Roger Vander Weyben: Portrait of a woman, 1433. London, National Gallery. Photo (Freeman')
Reference of image in the book 'A History of costume in the west- Reference written by Francois Boucher- Page 209.  Photo of image taken on my iphone on 18/10/14

'Petcus Christus: Portrait of a girl, Mid Fifteenth Centuary, Berlin, Staatliche Museen, Gernaldegalene' Reference written in the book by Francois Boucher Pg 209- Image taken by myself on 18/10/14


'Isabella of Portugal, wife of Charles V' was the following image I saw, who was living in Madrid, Spain. Isabella has noticeable pale skin and a high forehead, however remains attached to her eyebrows. The nature of the photo makes it difficult to determine whether she has any color on her lips or cheeks but none the less, she definitely has some references to the Elizabethans.

'Isabelle Of Portugal Titan. 1535. Madrid, Prado- Museum photo' reference written by francois boucher in his book. Page 222 Image taken by myself 18/10/14

Analysis-
I have noticed certain similarities of women's make up throughout the world, whether it be Germany or Spain the style we know as being Elizabethan was certainly used before Elizabeth. This has now informed me that Elizabeth mirrored the beauty from the 1400's through to her reign as he probably favored the beauty of the women during these times. 

Make Up during Elizabeth's Reign

The next image that I noticed was of 'The Three Princesses of the house of Lorraine' these three women were painted during 1595, 37 years into the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Their beauty clearly resembles that of the ideals from the era, they have no eyebrows, high foreheads and pale skin and probably had color on their lips and cheeks. The women from this image were from Madrid, which also informs me that the Elizabethan style was still favored over seas from its first reveal in the 1400's before Elizabeth's reign. 

'The Three Princesses of the house of Lorraine. 1595. Madrid, Prado. Photo- Anderson Giraudo' reference to image found in Francois Boucher's book. Pg 221. Image taken by myself on 18/10/14


Mary, Queen Of Scots confuses me in pictures due to seeing her hair look quite dark, which wasn't what was considered ideal back in that era and I would of thought with her status she would have the ideal beauty. In the image below she still looks like she has her eyebrows, lacks any color on her cheeks and has a light red splash on her lips. Her forehead however, is still high.

(Image- Anon. Mary, Queen of Scots. 1575, Glasgow. Glasgow Art gallery and museum. (Museum photo) reference of image and photo taken by myself from Francois Boucher's book. 



Overall, This book has taught me alot about make up in history. I have seen that certain parts of 'Elizabethan' style make up was in fact inspired by other fashions from the 1400's. The Elizabethan era almost mirrored other eras and copied certain aspects of their cosmetic and beauty. I have also found that the Elizabethan make up was alot more heavier than that of the 1400's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment