Monday 6 October 2014

Introduction to project brief


An introduction to our project.
Brief
All make-up artists require a range of skills associated with the construction, analysis and visual description of the decorated body as an integral part of the design processes that underpin creative work.  This unit will introduce students to the language of design and its relationship with make-up.  This unit will also establish the fundamental skills and principles for the make-up artist to understand the essential technical processes and creative approaches required to apply ideas to the face and body. Students will be required to research and record processes and become familiar with techniques and product knowledge in a visually appropriate and informative way.  Students will develop an understanding of how cosmetic and artistic techniques can be used creatively and encouraged to develop an enquiring approach to the technical application of make-up. 
This unit will introduce students to the historical and contemporary practice of make-up design using construction techniques, which will be examined within a social and cultural context.  Through an employability-focused approach, students will be also introduced to the diverse roles of the make-up and hair artist/designer in industry ranging from producing period looks for film to creating themed characters for music promos, advertising and fashion editorials. The unit, with particular emphasis on the timed assessment, will encourage students to develop key transferable skills in communication, collaboration and negotiation.[found on solent portal-mycourse] 

During this semester our first project/assignment is to re create a well known historical make up look which is based on the Elizabethan era. As stated in our brief we will be re creating this look with a modern twist that a viewer could relate it back to this era. 

What do you already know about the Elizabethan era?

History, like many was not my favorite subject in school. I didn't think I would ever need to know about history because I didn't want to be a Historian. How I was wrong. During my last college course we touched on historical make up but not in too much detail. I know that Queen Elizabeth I did not marry and never produced an heir to the throne meaning Elizabeth was the last Tudor Monarch and was succeeded after her death by her sisters son. I also know that it was claimed Elizabeth had several affairs during her reign as Queen.

Beauty Ideals-
In the Elizabethan era they had particular beauty ideals like we do now. Pale skin was a sign of wealth/higher class.
The famous Elizabethan look-
Pale white skin, minimal or no eyebrows, red lips, red cheeks, high forehead and fair hair.
   
    
Gower, G,. 1588. Variant Of The Armarda. Queen Elizabeth I. Posted by Ookaboo [Online]. Image Viewed 6th October 14. Available at: http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/picture/21149641/Variant_of_the_Armada_Portrait_George_Go        


What are you fears and aspirations for this project?
My fears about this project is that my own personal historical knowledge is limited meaning I need to do a lot more research like reading books, articles or watch films. 
However, I am also eager to learn a lot more about our history, the history of make up, the history of fashion and the history of hair. 

What are you looking forward to? 

During this project I am looking forward to playing around with all my new make up we have received this year as part of our kits and experimenting with different colors, techniques and patterns to create a 'New Elizabethan'.
I am also looking forward to learning a lot historically and broadening my historical knowledge. 
Continuing with my blog plays a huge part of what I'm excited about. I have so far really enjoyed writing and hope to continue writing in the future.

About what experience/knowledge I have in make up


[Here is an image from a past photo shoot I did. I made the monochrome garment, styled, photographed, applied the make up and also did the hair. This is my best image in my portfolio to date.]

Before coming to University I studied Production Arts which is a two year make up, hair and costume design course. This taught me a great amount of skills and helped me gain knowledge about make up applications, products and techniques. I have also been given great opportunities to go out into the industry for work experience in Theater, Fashion and Bridal. These experiences have  helped me to decide what I would ideally like to do upon leaving University which is to work in Fashion. However, I know this may change and I am very excited to see the outcome of the start of my career after University. 








No comments:

Post a Comment