Monday 20 October 2014

Elizabethan Portraiture & National Portrait Gallery, London.

Elizabethan Portraiture
My Favorite Image
National Portrait Gallery, London.

Queen Elizabeth I, associated with Nicholas Hilliard, circa 1575 - NPG 190 - © National Portrait Gallery, London

The Phoenix  
This image is on display at the National Portrait Gallery, London. 
Sitter- Queen Elizabeth I 
Artist- Nicolas Hilliard 
Date- 1575
Type- Oil on panel
Size- 32inch x 24inch

The Phoenix. Nicholas Hillard. 1575. Queen Elizabeth I. National Portrait Gallery London. Viewed 20/10/14. Available at:http://www.npg.org.uk/research/programmes/making-art-in-tudor-britain/the-phoenix-and-the-pelican-two-portraits-of-elizabeth-i-c.1575.php

I did not make the trip to London to visit this incredible gallery so I have been saved by the internet, specifically the National Portrait Galleries website. This image was one of 12 in my search, and instantly jumped out at me. The vibrant red and gold caught my eye first and these colours are so appealing to the eye. The second reason this portrait stood out for me, is the ideal beauty it portrays, Also Elizabeth was known for her elaborate dresses and jewels, and this portrait really backs that opinion. The jewellery she is draped in is timeless. 
The overall mood of this image isn't really clear, in all the portraiture I have seen Elizabeth never shows any emotion, she is numb. Her body language however speaks volumes, she's stood very bold, tall and elegantly which gives me the impression she wants to make sure the viewers of this portrait remember she IS the Queen of England. The way she gently holds the rose in her hand is beautiful and is one of many focal points on this image for me. The rose is symbollic in this image because..

The clothing Queen Elizabeth is wearing clearly tells us of her class status, which if it wasn't already obvious with her being Queen Of England, her class was Upper class/High Class. Her physical characteristics also tell us her class status, Her face is white and lips red with fair short hair. This description is what was classed as Ideal Beauty in this era and only the upper class could achieve such beauty.









No comments:

Post a Comment